Move over YouTube. There’s a shiny new channel in town!
The demand for visually engaging mobile-first content is on the rise, as proven by the latest feature from Instagram – IGTV! As simple as turning on your own TV at home, the feature is built within the app so you can enjoy video content straight away. And just like TV, IGTV has channels allowing users to watch categorised, relevant content where you can switch between “For You,” “Following,” “Popular" and "Continue Watching".
Here’s what Instagram’s Co-Founder & CEO, Kevin Systrom, had to say about the new channel:
“IGTV is different in a few ways. First, it’s built for how you actually use your phone, so videos are full screen and vertical. Also, unlike on Instagram, videos aren’t limited to one minute. Instead, each video can be up to an hour long.
“Also like TV, IGTV has channels. But, in IGTV, the creators are the channels. When you follow a creator on Instagram, their IGTV channel will show up for you to watch. Anyone can be a creator — you can upload your own IGTV videos in the app or on the web to start your own channel.”
In a nutshell, here’s what brands need to know about IGTV:
- Videos are full screen and vertical
- Video length is 15 seconds to 60 minutes
- Users can watch inside the Instagram app or on the IGTV app
- Videos play automatically for users upon opening the IGTV app
- Creators can add “swipe up” call-to-actions on videos
- Creators have their own channels, like YouTube (and anyone can be a creator)
- Videos can be uploaded to the IGTV app or the web
As with any social media trend, the best way to learn is to try it out for yourself, however if you would like to find out more about IGTV and how your brand can use the channel, get in touch with our team.